- Number of Antennas:: 4
- Wi-Fi technology: AC2300 Dual Band Gigabit
- Wi-Fi bands: Features two Wi-Fi bands, i.e. 2.4 GHz and 5 GHzbands
- Number of Ports: 4 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports, 1 USB 3.0 Port, 1 USB 2.0/eSATA Port, 1 Gigabit WAN port
- Wireless Connectivity: features Tri-Stream 160 MHz wireless connectivity
The Linksys WRT3200ACM is a Gigabit Wi-Fi router that provides quality performance in a medium price range. This router comes in the WRT series lineup from Linksys. It is one of the most powerful routers of the WRT series.
The Linksys WRT is a 3200ACM router however it is not a tri-band router and there is no additional Wi-Fi band. The Linksys WRT3200ACM is highly recommended for you if you are looking for a router with more features and more control options.
So, if you are considering this product, it is better to take a detailed overview of its features, performance, and other components. In this way, you will know what to expect and what not to expect from this device. To help you out, our experts have reviewed the Linksys WRT3200ACM in a detailed way explaining everything this router is capable of. So, let’s get started with our review.
The first thing we are going to look at is the design of this router. The Linksys WRT3200ACM has a decent design which is originally inspired by the Linksys WRT54G router. This router features a black and blue design enclosure with 2.1 x 9.6 x 7.6 inches dimensions.
On the outer side of this device, you will get four antennas that are adjustable and can be removed as well. Besides the antenna, there is a ray of LED status indicator lights situated on the front end. These indicator lights stand for Internet, WPS, LAN ports, USB ports, eSATA ports, and Power.
On the rear side of this router, it features four Gigabit LAN ports, a WAN port, and a USB 3.0 port with a combination of an eSATA (USB 2.0) port as well. Other than these ports the WPS, power, and reset buttons are also located at the backside of this router.
The designers of this router were so overwhelmed with the outcome that they decided to keep the same design for the entire WRT series excluding the WRT 1200 AC as it has two antennas. However, the design of Linksys WRT3200ACM is a lot better as compared to other routers in the market.
The second thing that our team reviewed is the hardware composition of this router. On the internal side, the Linksys WRT3200ACM features a dual-core 1.8 GHz Marvell Armada 88F680 ARMv7, Marvell 88E6352 switch, a 512 MB Micron DDR3 RAM, and a 256 MB flash memory.
Now, this combination of hardware components is quite amazing. The maximum data transfer rate of Linksys WRT3200ACM at 2.4 GHz radio band is 600 Mbps. However, on the 5 GHz radio band, the data transfer rate is around 2600. When combined both, the total rate becomes 3200 Mbps as it says in the name.
This router is equipped with an amazing combination of hardware with outstanding specifications. Now the main thing to check is the overall performance of this device. Let’s see if this good-looking router delivers exceptional performance or not.
The first performance test carried out by our experts was the networking test. So we tested the overall network performance of this router on a length of 5ft and 30 feet for both Wi-Fi bands.
While using the 5.0 GHz band, the Linksys WRT3200ACM delivered excellent performance. At a distance of 5 feet, we got a speed of 565 Mbps, but this speed decreased to 240 Mbps at 30 feet.
On the other hand, when tested on the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band, the performance went very well. At a distance of five feet, we recorded a network speed of 75 Mbps, while at 20 feet the speed decreased to 57 Mbps, which is for sure satisfactory.
Let’s take a look at the advanced methodologies used in this router:
This router features Marvell’s MU-MIMO technology that is an amazing component. With this technology, the router is able to serve more than one user at the same time without any errors or problems. This means that if there are 10 users connected to the Linksys WRT3200ACM router, each of these users will receive the same amount of data.
The MU-MIMO technology is a great addition to this router. You can stream HD videos online, do live streaming, play online games, without any worries of networking speed. Hence the MU-MIMO feature is a plus point in this router.
The beamforming feature is also added in the Linksys WRT3200ACM. The main function of beamforming technology is to optimize the overall network performance of the router and the connected clients.
Tri-Stream 160 Technology
This router features the Tri-Stream 160 MHz technology that changes the overall situation. With the Tri-Stream technology, you will get three network streams at 160 MHz channel that derive a total data speed of 867 Mbps on each stream. Sounds cool!
Setup and Installation Guide
Now that you have bought the router, the most important thing is to set up the router. The basic installation of Linksys WRT3200ACM is quite easy as compared to other Linksys routers. You can either perform the setup process through the web-based interface by using your PC. Else, you can also do that by using your mobile phone.
Web-Based Setup Guide
Follow the steps below to set up your router by using the web-based interface:
- Step – 1: Connect your PC to the router by using an Ethernet cable.
- Step – 2: Open your web browser. The browser will automatically launch Linksys Smart Router Setup. If it doesn’t go to Linksyssmartwifi.com.
- Step – 3: Follow the setup wizard guide and configure your Wireless connectivity Settings. Create SSIDs and passwords for both Wi-Fi radio bands.
- Step – 4: Follow the on-screen instructions to create a router password (and a hint for it). You can also create Linksys Smart WiFi Account to control your router remotely.
- Step – 5: When done, perform the manual configuration and finish the initial setup.
So this is how you can set up your Linksys WRT3200ACM by using your computer.
Mobile App Setup Guide
Follow the steps below to complete the setup by using your mobile phone:
- Step – 1: Install the Linksys Mobile App and open it. The app interface is the same as the browser one.
- Step -2: The app will ask you about the device you are trying to set up. Choose “A Linksys Router” from the available options.
- Step – 3: Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.
This is how you can set up your Linksys WRT3200ACM by using your mobile phone.
- The network throughput on the 5 GHz Wi-Fi band is amazing.
- The file transfer speed of this router is quite good.
- This router comes with a classy design that you will love for sure.
- The Linksys WRT3200ACM supports MU-MIMO, beamforming, and Tri-Stream 160 MHz technologies.
- It has an open-source firmware
- The connectivity of this router is excellent.
- The networking throughput on the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band is satisfactory.
- There are currently no 160 MHz clients available for this router.
- The long-range performance is not good.