- Number of Antennas: 3 (All of them can be upgraded and removed)
- Processor: Dual-Core 1.0 GHz
- Wi-Fi Chip: Dual-core Broadcom BCM4708C0 chipset
- Ports: 1 WAN port, 4 LAN ports, 2 USB 2.0/3.0 ports
The NetGear Nighthawk AC2300 (R7000P) is a solid addition to the most famous Nighthawk R7000 dual-band routers. The NetGear Nighthawk AC2300 (R7000P) is one of the best security routers compatible with Verizon fiOS available in the market. It is easy to set up and install, and it features Bitdefender Total Security software within the package.
The success of this router is because of its outstanding performance, unique and plane-inspired design, and sturdy hardware components. The company updated some of the hardware elements in this router after three years of its release.
So, if you are looking for a top-notch security router, NetGear Nighthawk AC2300 (R7000P) is the deal for you. This router provides excellent protection against malware attacks, etc. If you have decided to buy this router, here is everything you need to know about it. Our expert team has reviewed everything about this product to help users understand if this router is for them or not. So, let’s get started with our review about NetGear Nighthawk AC2300 (R7000P).
This router from Netgear has the best design that you’ll like for sure. It features a Lock-heed F-118 Stealth-plane design that resembles the previous R7000 model very much.
The NetGear Nighthawk AC2300 (R7000P) is composed of angular plastic further covered by a black matte finish. It is a medium-sized router with 11.22 x 7.26 x 1.97 inches of dimensions. The side parts of this router are pitched towards its base. It has two ventilation gills located on both sides for proper ventilation.
At the outer side of this router, you will see three Omni-directional antennas that look like fins, and hence they can be removed and upgraded from time to time. At the top side of the router, there are LED indicator lights representing the status of the router’s network. On the left side, there is a power LED light. There are four LAN ports located at the rear side of the router, further accompanied by a small reset button next to the LAN port, a WAN port, a USB 3.0 port, and a 2.0 port with a power on/off switch.
From the inside, this router is equipped with a dual-core Broadcom BCM4708C0 chipset, with 256 MB of RAM from Samsung, 128 MB of flash storage from Spansion, and it uses a BCM4708C0 as its switch chip.
The hardware components of this router are related to the previous R7000 model. However, the only difference is that the R7000P has an improved wireless chip for 5GHz radio. It also supports MU-MIMO technology as well.
The R7000P is considered an AC2300 router to transfer data at a rate of 600 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band and 1.625 Mbps on the 5 GHz radio band.
The Netgear Nighthawk R7000P is a beast when it comes to performance. The previous version was also a well-performer at its time, but the later one is way better.
The Nighthawk R7000P adapts to the latest technology, such as WAVE 2 features and MU-MIMO. The Multi-user MIMO technology is very beneficial because it lets multiple users connect to the router via Wi-Fi and equally distributes the bandwidth so that there is no issue with the speed of connectivity.
The Nighthawk R7000P is also equipped with Beamforming+ technology, ensuring that the signal is directed towards the client and is more improved. Hence the benefit of having Beamforming+ technology in the router enables more stability in data transfer and networking.
This router also features Smart Connect technology. The nighthawk R7000P is equipped with a dual-band radio. So the Smart Connect features automatically allots connected devices towards the suitable Wi-Fi band. In this way, the network remains stable as none of the bands gets over-trafficked.
The Netgear Nighthawk R7000P is also provided with superior security features. For example, the Netgear Armor serves as an Antivirus and protects against malware and virus invasions. It also scans your devices versus vulnerabilities so that they are secure enough.
If you want to monitor your child’s activity over the internet, this router can help you. It emphasizes the Circle with Disney feature that is for better Parental Controls.
The main drawback is that Netgear Armor and Circle with Disney integration is just a 90 days trial. These two integrations, later on, give a basic free package, but for complete access, you have to spend a monthly payment.
The Netgear Nighthawk R7000P is a wireless router with two Wi-Fi bands, i.e2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. So, to test the networking performance of this router. Firstly, we connected both clients to the 5 GHz Wi-Fi band. At a distance of 5 feet, the router was able to deliver a speed of 860 Mbps. When we increased the length to 15 feet, it showed a maximum speed of 805 Mbps. However, when we raised the distance to around 30 feet, the speed went down to 655 Mbps.
This performance was possible because of the PCE-AC88.
In the next test, we switched the Wi-Fi band from 5.0 GHz to a 2.4 GHz network. In this test, a PCE-AC88 adapter was used to connect the client to the server. At first, an average speed of 176 Mbps was recorded at a distance of 15 feet. When the length was increased to 30 feet, the average speed of 158 Mbps was recorded.
Setup and Installation
The setup and installation process for Netgear Nighthawk R7000P is easy to do. The setup procedure can be done by using the web-based Netgear Genie Setup Wizard. Follow these steps to set up your Netgear Nighthawk R7000P.
Via Web-Based Interface
- Step – 1: Connect your Nighthawk R7000P with your modem and power it up. After that, the wizard will launch automatically.
- Step – 2: Choose the router mode so that you can configure your router as an access point.
- Step – 3: After that, create SSIDs and passwords for the two Wi-Fi bands and create administrator login credentials for the router. (These login details will come in handy if you forget your Wi-Fi band’s credentials.).
- Step – 4: After creating your login credentials, a quick firmware update, your setup installation will be complete.
That’s how you can configure your Netgear Nighthawk AC2300 (R7000P) by using the web-based interface.
Via Mobile Phone
You can also set up your Nighthawk R7000P by using your mobile phone. Follow the steps to do so:
- Step – 1: Download and install the Nighthawk application on your phone.
- Step – 2: After installing the app, you will be asked to create a Netgear account. Follow the on-screen instructions to create a Netgear account. You can also connect your Facebook account or add two-step verification for an extra layer of security.
- Step – 3: Connect your router’s Wi-Fi network by following the on-screen instructions within the android app.
This is how you can connect your device with your router’s Wi-Fi network by using the Nighthawk Android app.
- The close-range networking throughput is outstanding.
- You can easily install and configure this router.
- It supports advanced technologies such as Beamforming+ and MU-MIMO data streaming.
- It has an excellent and decent-looking design.
- There are a lot of features available on the web-based interface.
- It is equipped with advanced parental controls and security options to protect against viruses and malware.
- The web-based interface of this router can get slow sometimes.
- The security and parental control integrations require an additional monthly fee.
- The long-range networking throughput is not that good.
- This router’s file transfer performance is average.